If you were looking for help building a website,
please see “How to Make a Website.”
Our business clients have the best website design ideas under the sun. This article is for those prospective clients who want to design your own website before you come to us for implementation.
What do we mean by designing your own website? Well, you, dear client, know your market – you know your clientele – you know your competition.
You’ve spent time understanding what works and what doesn’t work. Heck, you may have spent more time picking apart the “do’s” and “don’ts” of your competition’s website design, than they have!
Designing a website isn’t just about visuals – that’s our job. Your job in designing your own website, is about priorities.
The end result?
Some of our clients come to us with well-defined needs about their website before the first consultation begins.
We encourage this!
Although we provide expert professional web design services from start to finish, there’s no better way to get exactly what you need for your website, than to know what you need in advance.
So, for those of you who want to design your own website before you come to 5 Shades Media, here’s our checklist.
DIY Checklist – Design Your Own Website
Answer the following questions about your website’s presentation focus. Keep in mind that we say “or” below, however, you can certainly answer “both” for a much more deluxe website design specification.
- Image-heavy, or text-heavy?
- Mobile-friendly, or land-lines only?
- Eye-candy, or functionality?
- Constantly updated, or fire-and-forget?
- Comprehensive, or finely-focused?
This next list of considerations for designing your own website, is about your intended market demographic. You’ll want to know a few things in advance that will lead to capturing your target market’s full attention from the moment the first page loads.
All the points below will inflect how we implement your website’s visual design. When you think of these things in an effort to design your own website, you’ll bring us valuable instructions that help us serve your company best.
- Young, adult, or senior audience?
- Low, middle, or upper income bracket?
- Specialty market? i.e. moms, dog owners, people who are quitting smoking?
- What industries and products are related to your own? i.e. what else will your website’s clients and visitors be thinking about, at the same time as they’re thinking of your products and services?
And lastly, you’ll want to think about how to get the most performance out of your web design budget.
- Content is king. The internet is designed so that text is more important than visuals when it comes to getting people to find your website. Design your own website with this in mind – a picture isn’t worth a thousand words if nobody sees that picture. It’s the words that get visitors.
What’s that mean? Your website’s structure needs to address a variety of topics, also known as keywords. You’ll want to figure out how to structure your website so that there’s room for a variety of informational articles. This presents your website to the search engines as a topic authority – and that’s what makes search engines give you a good search rank.
- Design your website to encourage specific actions. You want your clients to buy something; you want your clients to set an appointment, or provide contact information, or request a quote. These actions are what makes your website generate revenue. When you think about how to design your website, be sure you focus on these actions. Encouraging, and enabling these actions are the utmost key in any business website design.
Conclusion on Designing Your Own Website
While this article is no substitute for a detailed consultation, it will definitely help new clients understand what matters most when launching or revamping a business website.
For more information about your website’s design, and more pointers on what to consider when you design your own website, contact 5 Shades Media for a consultation.